Indiana Landmarks and Indiana Farm Bureau welcome nominations for the 2014 John Arnold Award for Rural Preservation. The award recognizes the preservation and continued agricultural use of historic farm buildings in Indiana.
Anyone, including farm owners, can submit a nomination for the Arnold Award, which will be presented during Farmers’ Day festivities at the Indiana State Fair on August 13, 2014. The nomination is simple and asks for:
• A brief history of the farm and description of its significant historic structures and features, such as the farmhouse, barns, agricultural outbuildings, and landscape elements..
• A description of how the farm’s historic agricultural structures are used in day-to-day farming operations, and how they have been preserved or adapted.
• High-res digital photographs of the farm and its preserved historic features. Historic images are also welcome.
The award winner receives a handsome outdoor marker, a vehicle pass to the Indiana State Fair, and overnight accommodations in Indianapolis for the Farmers’ Day ceremony.
Indiana Landmarks named the award in memory of John Arnold (1955-1991), a Rush County farmer who successfully combined progressive architectural practices with a deep respect for the natural and historic features of the rural landscape. The John Arnold Award for Rural Preservation Award honors those who share a similar commitment to preserving the landmarks and landscape of rural Indiana.
The Miers family of Decatur County received the 2013 John Arnold Award for Rural Preservation from Indiana Landmarks and Indiana Farm Bureau. David and Mary Miers operate the Miers Farm Corporation in Decatur County.
“The Miers family uses their historic barns and farm buildings in modern agricultural operations while preserving the structures’ original character,” said Tommy Kleckner, Indiana Landmarks’ western office director and manager of the Arnold Award program.
David is the sixth generation Miers on the farm—2 ,000 acres of corn, beans, soybeans, and wheat. The Miers live in the c.1890 Queen Anne-style farmhouse built by David’s great-great-grandfather, Thomas Sandford Miers.