About this same time Jesus was told that Pilate had given orders for some people from Galilee to be killed while they were offering sacrifices. 2 Jesus replied: “Do you think that these people were worse sinners than everyone else in Galilee just because of what happened to them? 3 Not at all! But you can be sure that if you don’t turn back to God, every one of you will also be killed. 4 What about those 18 people who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them? Do you think they were worse than everyone else in Jerusalem? 5 Not at all! But you can be sure that if you don’t turn back to God, every one of you will also die.”
6 Jesus then told them this story:
“A man had a fig tree growing in his vineyard. One day he went out to pick some figs, but he didn’t find any. 7 So he said to the gardener, ‘For three years I have come looking for figs on this tree, and I haven’t found any yet. Chop it down! Why should it take up space?’
8 The gardener answered, ‘Master, leave it for another year. I’ll dig around it and put some manure on it to make it grow. 9 Maybe it will have figs on it next year. If it doesn’t, you can have it cut down.’”
As we enter the third week of Lent, let us take heed of this week’s scripture readings, in particular the Gospel reading from Luke.
Jesus is making it clear that humanity needs to experience a change. These words of our Lord reverberate to our society in 2013 when He said, “But you can be sure that if you don’t turn back to God, every one of you will also be killed. 4 What about those 18 people who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them? Do you think they were worse than everyone else in Jerusalem? 5 Not at all! But you can be sure that if you don’t turn back to God, every one of you will also die.”
To be sure, we know that we will die, but He is speaking of spiritual death here. There is no reason for anyone to die without His grace and assurance of eternity in Heaven.
Lent most certainly draws us into a special time of the year as we prepare ourselves for the remaining months. Medical science has shown how that fasting (doing without food for a period of time) has a special effect of our system.
Fasting brings about a certain detoxification for our bodies as we deny it those food items that may have gotten us into trouble to begin with. Denying ourselves of food for is not only good for the body, but it also detoxifies the spiritual side of our lives. It could be considered a purging of those sinful things that have caused us to over-indulge in habits that have become unhealthy for us, whether it’s food, drink or, other behaviors.
Much of life’s illnesses can be corrected by following what our Lord asks of us and that is to walk in obedience to the Holy Spirit.
Even if it’s giving up a meal and drinking water or juice for that short period of time, you will sense a difference. Go ahead, give it a try. It’s a great way to get a spiritual tune-up from the Holy Spirit.
Holy week is soon approaching and I would like for you to consider joining with me Monday or Holy Thursday evening for a special time together. More details to follow.
The Most Rev, Michael Layne, PhD, ThD, is a Bishop in the Lutheran Orthodox Church and can be reached at 812-614-2160 or email@example.com.
- The Preacher: fiery prophet, God's anointed spokesman I grew up with a lot of religious rules. To violate these rules was to subject oneself to the judgment of God. If you had a fundamentalist upbringing, you may be familiar with some of these restrictions. No drinking, no smoking, no dancing, no playin
- Are you producing fruit or weeds? “Therefore by their fruits you will know them.”— Matthew 7:201965 was the last year my grandmother planted a garden. Now, this wasn’t just a little patch of ground with a few items, it was a large garden and as a teenager that was going to have to w
- Church Briefs Liberty Baptist ChurchSunday, Aug. 3Liberty Baptist Church will have Sunday School in the Fellowship Hall at 10 a.m. with the lesson being, “Treasure In Clay Jars” from 2 Corinthians 4: 1-15; Devotional Reading: Jude 17-25, and Background Scripture:
- Church Briefs Greensburg Wesleyan ChurchThe Life Line Screening will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Aug. 18, at the Greensburg Wesleyan Church Family Life Center 714 West Main.Please call 1-877-792-8479 to set up an appointment. Appointments must be set up
- A positive minute: Marvel mystery oil, of all things “And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness.”— 1 Timothy 3:16My biological father was a skilled auto mechanic. Not being raised around him, I never honed those particular skills. I have, however, helped some mechanics pay their bills.
- Church Briefs Sandcreek Baptist ChurchBe sure to mark the date for next Sunday’s business meeting and plan to attend. Prior to the meeting, the youth will be conducting the worship service. Come and support these young people as they grow in confidence and strengt
- A positive minute: Reunions are something to look forward to Donna and I recently made our way to Shelbyville, Illinois where we met up with her siblings and their families at Lake Shelbyville. The campgrounds were well-kept, clean and very peaceful. The rooms and the lodge were very nice.We had a great time w
- We could learn a lesson from rodeo: Either let go...or be dragged A friend who has some experience with rodeo horses sent me a most picturesque proverb: “Let go or be dragged.” Whether this phrase was first spoken by a Zen master who had achieved enlightenment on the mountainside, or by a battered cowboy nursing hi
- Church Briefs Liberty Baptist ChurchSunday, July 20Liberty Baptist Church will have Sunday School in the Fellowship Hall at 10 a.m. with the Lesson being, “Overcome Temptation” from 1 Corinthians 10: 6-22; Devotional Reading: Hebrews 3: 7-14, and Background Script
- Church Briefs Sandcreek Baptist ChurchWhat a wonderful Fourth of July weekend! The weather was perfect and the parade was even bigger and better than last year. Enjoyed seeing all of the children with their bikes, some riding in wagons, etc. Hope you were there to
- More Church Headlines