As a former federal worker with 32 years of service at the Department of
Justice in Washington, D. C., the Fourth of July is an important day for me. Since the dawn of our nation, federal workers have played a significant role in America's achievements. These days politicians act and speak like I should be ashamed of working for the Federal Government and that my 32 years of dedication to my very difficult job were a waste.
Despite what anyone says, I know how important my contribution was to this
The contributions of federal workers will be very much in evidence this
week as Americans prepare to celebrate our nation's birthday. Millions of
Americans will check a weather report prepared by the National Weather
Service, grill meat inspected by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and
fly in skies kept safe by the Federal Aviation Administration and the
Transportation Security Administration. Others will enjoy time outdoors in
our National Parks, travel with children protected by car seats inspected
by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, and visit post offices to mail
letters and packages to loved ones serving in the military.
My fellow federal workers and I are proud of the jobs we've done for
America for the last 236 years. We wish you, and the nation we love, a
happy Independence Day.
Mary Beth Edwards
- Letters to the Editor
- Former student offers congratulations |Dear Editor: Congratulations to Doreen and Howard Wilkison for celebrating 50 years of marriage (Daily News, Aug. 8). Doreen and Howard are wonderful people and have greatly contributed to the moral fiber and richness of Greensburg for many years.
- Controlling our minds, memories Dear Editor:I am writing about something a little off-beat. It’s about my mind and our minds.Our minds started as a blank page; everything was put there by our parents, people around us, society and as we grow. As we grow, we add our own memories to
- letters to the editor Family Clothes Closet offers thanksDear Editor:We have completed our 14th Family Clothes Closet and it was a huge success. We were blessed with faithful and hardworking volunteers. We had a youth group help set things up on Sunday evening, which mad
- No Headline Provided Thank you for the supportDear Editor:I would like to thank you for your beautiful write up and coverage of little Chance. We sure appreciate it so much.We would like to thank our church, the First Church of God, Pastor John, Pastor Darrel and our ent
- letters to the editor Veterans need new van Dear Editor:As you know, we have veterans from all branches of the service: Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard and Air Force. These men and women have and are fighting for us. They are fighting and have fought to keep our country
- Church offers gratitude for assistance Dear Editor:The Springhill Presbyterian Church hosted another successful pork chop supper at the Clarksburg Fire Station on Aug. 1. We were blessed with those who attended, worked and contributed food items. We are especially grateful to the busines
- Right to Life offers thanks Dear Editor:Decatur County Right to Life would like to thank all those who made our baby contest at the fair such a great success. We had fifty-two beautiful entries, and first place went to Kristopher Dwiggins. Second through fifth places went to E
- Politicians are not the problem Politicians are not the problemDear Editor:I read the Letter to the Editor from Mr. Joe Wietlisbach on Aug 7, who complained of the Republican rhetoric that had invaded his mailbox. He said that it told lies of our President and that no facts were gi
- letters to the editor Recipe for an outstanding educatorDear Editor:First with a wire whisk stir in an enormous bag of enthusiasm, a garden of positivity, a huge heap of creativity, and an acre of artistic talent into a first grade classroom. Next add in a mound of studen
- Four reasons the president is failing Four reasons the president is failingDear Editor:President Obama has been on-the-job training and still doesn’t know the job, expect fundraisers and weird executive orders.Here are just four reasons he is failing, along with our country.One – The ISI
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines