"You've got to be taught before it's too late, before you are six or seven or eight, to hate all the people your relatives hate, you've got to be carefully taught." These lyrics are from the song "You've Got to be Carefully Taught," from Rodgers and Hammerstein's musical "South Pacific."
I can think of no more appropriate words than these to describe what recently took place at one of Greensburg's churches. I don't believe there is a Heaven or a Hell, but if I'm wrong, then surely the people that are responsible for planting this seed of vitriol in a very young child's mind won't need to take an overcoat with them when they pass from this life.
- Letters to the Editor
- Making a mark in life Making a mark in life To the Editor: I was sitting here at 6 a.m. drinking my coffee and I started thinking. I do that once in a while. I had a good life, a great family and a wonderful wife. It has been a great ride. I think I've done some good and
- Lawsuit is unbelievable Dear Editor: Well, congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Hayden for winning your lawsuit against the Greensburg School Corporation over your son's hair length and proving to all of us that the "policy constitutes sex discrimination." You both must be
- Don’t leave questions unanswered Don't leave questions unanswered To the Editor: I am writing this letter about something most people have been through. It's not a fun thing to go through. We have people who get upset over remarks, things that happen and some for reasons that we hav
- US foreign policy is a mess US foreign policy is a mess Dear Editor: Our country's foreign policy is at a low point. In Egypt, our President supports the Muslim Brotherhood, who are terrorists kicked out of power. Mr. Obama has cut off aid to the caretaker government that has
- Statement from Indiana Farm Bureau about Senate Bill 101: Indiana Farm Bureau and its farmer members thank the House Judiciary Committee for voting favorably on Senate Bill 101, a measure that will provide farmers the same protections against trespass enjoyed by all Hoosier homeowners. Indiana Farm Bureau l
- Millions of pics snapped, but few saved for future info and pleasure Dear Editor: In these days of incessant picture taking, where everybody with a "smart" phone has suddenly become a "photographer," I'm concerned that in the not-very-distant future nobody will actually have a photo record of their family. Marilyn and
- It’s time for a change It's time for a change To the Editor: I am writing about the racial discrimination suit against Honda. Greensburg has had a reputation of racial bias since before I was born back in the 1920s. I heard tales of this since I was a kid. I worked with
- Girl Scouts celebrate in February Dear Editor: During the month of February, Girl Scouts celebrate African American History Month and World Thinking Day. Diversity has been a core value of Girl Scouts since Juliette Gordon Low gathered together the first troop of 18 girls in Savannah
- letters to the editor Owners should take responsibility Dear Editor: Empty houses that are not cared for make it difficult for neighbors. We live next door to a house that has been empty for years. The owner does not maintain the home except to have someone cut the gras
- Relay for Life a way to celebrate, remember Dear Editor: February is National Cancer Prevention Month, so I thought it would be a good time to write this letter. For the past 15 years or so, I've participated in the Decatur County Relay for Life. My reasons have been many, especially in 2008 w
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines