Candidate: Ernest J. Gauck
Party Affiliation: Republican
Office Sought: Decatur County Council At-Large (incumbent)
Q: What drives you to enter/remain in/return to the arena of public service?
A: I have been in local government for 16 years, and would like to use my experience along with my local knowledge to serve four more years on the County Council.
Q: As someone who may be serving Greensburg/Decatur County in office in 2013 and beyond, what one thing, more than any other, do you want to see accomplished?
A: I would like to see the city and county governments work together to bring more jobs to the area while protecting our park areas and farmland.
Q: Describe your experience with business. Have you ever owned or managed one?
A: I have owned and operated Gauck Concrete Construction for 18 years in Decatur County. I now own and operate North Branch Golf Course, which is celebrating its 25th year.
Q: Do you believe city/county government should contribute to charitable causes? How should these be determined?
A: I do not believe in directly donating to charitable causes; however, we as a county provide funds to Catch-A-Ride, New Directions and others as the Council deems them to be a good cause.
Q: Do you believe repercussions are in order for public officials who deliberately violate the Open Door Law or Access to Public Records Act?
A: Repercussions should be upheld on all public officials who violate the Open Door Law or Access to Public Records Act.
Q: Do you support expansion of the Greensburg Municipal Airport? What is the primary reason for your position?
A: I think Greensburg needs a good airport, the problem being in order to get federal funding for an airport the expansion has to be of a certain size and the runways of a certain length. This is going to cause land to be purchased from people who do not want to sell their property. I think an expanded airport built on property bought from people who are willing to sell would be a good solution.
Q: In the position you seek, how would you work to increase accountability and transparency in Decatur County government?
A: I would continue to encourage people to attend the Council and Commissioner meetings, and for them to feel free to look at any of the budgets or ask any questions.
— Daily News
Candidate: Ernest J. Gauck
- Decatur County Events Calendar Local clubs, service groups, fraternal organizations and others are encouraged to send their Coming Events information to the Daily News at firstname.lastname@example.org or Daily News, PO Box 106, Greensburg, IN 47240. March 8 2 p.m. - Maggie Delaney,
- Police Blotter Incidents DCSD March 6 3:23 a.m. - EMS run to Westport GPD March 6 2:19 p.m. - EMS run to the 300 block of N. Carver Street. 5:15 p.m. - Domestic battery in the 200 block of S. Broadway Street. 5:16 p.m. - Juvenile/incorrigible in the 300 block of N.
- Cougars' season ends in OT It was as heartbreaking as any game could turn out to be. Friday night's outcome in the South Decatur Sectional 60 Semifinal was not the result that the South Decatur boys basketball team had expected. The second half had a championship feel to it, a
- Elementary school celebrates diversity with cartoons GREENSBURG - With soft drinks, popcorn and subtitled cartoons from around the world, Greensburg Elementary School celebrated the diversity of its students. About 200 children and parents gathered in the school's cafeteria Thursday evening for about a
- Beware of rental scam, ISP says Hamilton County - A rental scam utilizing Craigslist has reared its ugly head once again in central Indiana and the State Police want to warn the public to be mindful of their dealings. On Feb. 21, a Plainfield resident answered a Craigslist postin
- Illuminate Ticket Sales Illuminate Ticket Sales Tickets for Illuminate can be purchased at: First Christian Church of Greensburg - contact Alex Sefton Community Churches of Greensburg and Batesville - contact Barry Morton Greensburg Wesleyan Church - contact Doug Preston F
- County schools learn internet safety GREENSBURG - In late February, the Daily News printed an article about North Decatur Elementary School (NDES) students learning internet safety from school counselor Candy Scaggs. The information in that article came from general course materials and
- Expert encourages sustainable farming GREENSBURG - Farmland conservation makes farmers better stewards of the environment -- and can help them lower their costs and produce higher yields, a state conservation expert said. Through the creation of wetlands and watershed structures and focu
- Worship concert “Illuminate” to benefit Kids’ Closet GREENSBURG - The Kids' Closet of Decatur County has announced an upcoming fundraising concert called Illuminate at 6 p.m. on April 12, at the Greensburg Junior High School auditorium. Illuminate will be a worship concert appropriate for all ages. Loc
- Spring ahead: Time change this weekend Mar 9, 2014 - Daylight Saving Time starts. When local standard time is about to reach 2 a.m. on Sunday, March 9, 2014, clocks are turned forward 1 hour to 3 a.m. Sunday, March 9, 2014, local daylight time instead. Sunrise and sunset will be one hour
- More News Headlines