Greensburg Daily News, Greensburg, IN

October 12, 2013

Entire GFD, volunteers deployed for Friday fire

By Rob Cox Daily News
Greensburg Daily News

---- — GREENSBURG — A home on First Street was partially seized by flames Friday afternoon, requiring several Greensburg Firefighters to extinguish the blaze.

Greensburg Fire Department (GFD) Chief Scott Chasteen characterized the event as a “general alarm fire.” “We called in all off duty personnel and all our volunteers,” Chasteen said. “We had 12 firefighters on scene fighting the fire. The remainder stayed on at the station in case another incident occurred elsewhere.”

As of press time, no official cause of the fire has been established, but Chasteen expects one will be determined sometime Monday. “We’re still in the investigation stages,” the chief said. “At this point, it looks accidental, but we expect to have something concrete Monday.”

Although witnesses described seeing flames shooting from the home, Chasteen said the fire itself took roughly five minutes to extinguish, while the GFD team needed another 15 minutes to completely dissipate the smoke. The fire was contained to a single room, the chief added.

The fire had largely been extinguised when the Daily News arrived on scene, but smoke continued pouring from the home, with GFD firefighters – including Chasteen – shuttling in and out to completely eradicate the event.

Witness Penny Wood told the Daily News she smelled the fire from inside the office where she works, located along Lincoln Avenue (the home where the fire occurred is behind and catty-cornered to Woods’ office). Woods ran out to investigate and spotted the flames.

“It was horrible,” she said. “There were flames just pouring out the back window and the side window.”

Woods ran back into her office to call 911, but spotted an ambulance leaving Decatur County Memorial Hospital and instead ran out and flagged it down. “I assume they called the fire department,” she said.

Decatur County Sheriff’s Deputy Steve Snyder was on scene, but not in an official capacity; he has relatives who live in the home. “Nobody was home [when the fire broke out],” Snyder said. “The owner had just gotten home from work, and he pulled in just as the Fire Department did.”

Contact: Rob Cox 812-663-3111 x7011.