Greensburg Daily News
A massive fire engulfed and destroyed a New Point home shortly after 2 p.m. Thursday.
The residence was located at 8447 County Road 195 South.
The house’s owner, Irene Maxfield, did not live in the home, but a family of her relatives did. The family, also Maxfields, consisted of two adults, their daughter and their dog.
The Maxfield’s daughter was home alone at the time of the fire, but both she and the dog escaped. Officials had not released any other information regarding the occupants of the home by press time Thursday.
A police radio report indicated that a malfunctioning clothes dryer may have started the blaze, but this is not confirmed and the fire is still under investigation.
New Point Volunteer Fire Department Captain Mark Baldwin told the Daily News that the preliminary investigation showed no signs of trouble with the dryer in question. The home, however, had previously experienced electrical problems, he said.
No fatalities occurred, though the young woman at home when the fire started suffered from smoke inhalation.
The fire raged for a short time before firefighters were able to put out the flames. Greensburg, New Point, and Clarksburg fire departments responded to the call and their combined efforts extinguished the fire. Also on hand were the Decatur County Sheriff’s Department and Decatur County EMS.
Baldwin said it’s unusual for a fire to spread so quickly. He went on to say that there have been two other fires recently in New Point and both were contained to the room where they started.
The Maxfield home was completely destroyed and the family appears to have lost everything contained within the residence. A vehicle parked in the garage also caught fire and suffered significant damage.
Anyone wishing to help the Maxfields through this ordeal should contact the American Red Cross or Rev. Mark Vice at New Point Christian Church at 663-9375.
Contact: Amanda Brown 812-663-3111 x7056