A devastating house fire in New Point Thursday was caused by a cell phone charger cord, investigators say.
New Point Volunteer Fire Department Chief Mark Baldwin told the Daily News Friday that an investigation conducted by the state Fire Marshal placed the blame of the blaze on a cell phone cord that had fallen into a couch cushion. The cell phone charger was plugged into an electrical outlet when it caught the couch on fire. No cell phone was plugged into the charger.
Baldwin said the state Fire Marshal has investigated two other recent fires believed to have been started in the same way.
As was previously reported in the Daily News, the blaze broke out shortly after 2 p.m. at 8447 County Road 195 South in New Point Thursday. Multiple fire and police agents responded to the fire, which gutted the home owned by Irene Maxfield. A child who lived at the residence was at home at the time of the fire. The girl and the family’s dog escaped unharmed.
Chief Baldwin said the child was alerted of the blaze when the dog began barking in the living room. Fire spread quickly and completely destroyed the residence as well as a vehicle parked in a garage at the time.
The American Red Cross helped find a temporary home for the Maxfields, a family of three that had been living in the home.
The New Point Fire Chief also said some money and items have been donated to the family, who did not have insurance on the property. The home itself was also not insured by its owner.
Those wishing to help the Maxfields may contact the American Red Cross or call New Point Christian Church at 663-9375.
Contact: Brent Brown 812-663-3111 x7056