The Decatur County Community Scholarship Foundation presented a total of $131,000 in scholarships to 23 deserving seniors from North and South Decatur High Schools tonight. The scholarships were awarded to:
• NORTH DECATUR – $7500 for each year for 4 YR. – Alicia Yager
• NORTH DECATUR – $5250 for each year for 4 YR - Ashleigh Kramer
• SOUTH DECATUR – $7500 for each year for 4 YR. – Mary Barnard
• SOUTH DECATUR – $5250 for each year for 4 YR - Taylor Kopplin
• $1500 RUSSELL CORYA MEMORIAL AG. SCHOLARSHIP – Andrew Wullenweber
• $1000 ROBERT FRIEDERSDORF MEMORIAL AG SCHOLARSHIP – Jared Bedel
• $1000 SHIRK ENGLISH – Paje Smiley
• SPARKS MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP (North Decatur) - $1000 for each of 4 years – Erin Hoeing
• RISK-SPARKS SCHOLARSHIP (South Decatur) - $1000 for each of 4 years – Chelsea Franklin
• $1000 JEAN A. REED MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP – Charles Gay
• $1500 CECILIA SPRINGMEYER MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP: Josie Clark, Shelby Frensemeier, and Mary Smith
• $1000 ARTHUR MOOR MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP: Emily Mapes
• $1000 DOLLARS FOR SCHOLARS MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP: Jennifer Gilly
• $1000 GENERAL SCHOLARSHIPS: Christopher Johanningman, Lauren Kinker, Kaitlynn Scheidler, Michaela Shake, Jared Wagner, Alison Wallpe, Anna Wallpe, and Tyler Wamsley.
“These scholarships are presented to seniors who have worked hard and excelled academically throughout their high school years. Our board hopes that, with the help of this money, these young people will be able to continue to excel as they further their education, and we are excited to be able to help them do that,” said Lora Williams, president of the Foundation.
Monies for the Lehman, Corya and Springmeyer scholarships are held by the Decatur County Community Foundation. The Arthur Moor and Dollars for Scholars Memorial Scholarships were both made possible when the South Decatur division of Dollars for Scholars closed its chapter and transferred the scholarship monies from its treasury to the Decatur County Community Scholarship Foundation, which will continue to award these memorial scholarships in the future.
The Decatur County Community Scholarship Foundation was formed in 1983 when seven members of the community joined together to raise funds for scholarships for students at North and South Decatur High Schools. Scholarships of no less than $1000 have been presented by the Foundation every year since 1984. Donations to the Foundation may be made at any time, and the Foundation gladly accepts gifts from individuals and estates, including gifts made in honor of or in memory of those who have shown a commitment to the Foundation and the youth of Decatur County.