Greensburg Daily News, Greensburg, IN

September 5, 2013

Local missing man found after two months

By Amanda Browning Daily News
Greensburg Daily News

---- — WESTPORT – Tyler Theo Meadows has been missing since June of this year, leaving his friends and family to wait in suspenseful fear for any news of him.

Two months ago, Tyler was living in St. Paul with a roommate. His family heard from him often and had no cause for worry or concern about his safety beyond a few minor accidents on his dirt bike. Family members assumed him to still be working at a series of odd jobs.

When two weeks passed without a phone call, no one was overly concerned; after all, Tyler had gone that long without calling before when he’d gotten busy. When three weeks passed by without a word, anxiety started to grow. By the time no one had heard form Tyler for a month, full-fledged worry took over.

Tyler’s grandfather, Mike Burger, got in touch with Tyler’s father and asked him to check in with the young man. His father was unable to locate him and his roommate hadn’t seen him either. As the news got worse, Tyler’s family considered him to be officially missing.

The family contacted the Decatur County Sheriff’s Department (DCSD), but early search efforts yielded no leads on his whereabouts. Burger began to worry that his grandson had crashed his bike and been killed along a back road and no one knew it. Burger made posters and put them up, hoping someone would recognize Tyler and call with information.

Last week, Tyler’s roommate came to Burger’s house in Westport looking for him. The roommate told Burger of the last time he’d seen Tyler and that he was going to Waldron. The worried grandfather again contacted the Officer Woodhull at the DCSD and asked for permission to walk the road from St. Paul to Waldron, which he was given.

In the meantime, officers at the Sheriff’s Department continued to search for Tyler. In a stroke of luck, someone matching his description was seen in Martinsville on Sunday. Police confirmed that it was Tyler and notified Burger.

Burger is thrilled that his grandson has been found safe. It appears that Tyler just picked up and left one day, without a word to anyone. Even his roommate didn’t know where he’d gone. Finally, after two months of fearful waiting and wondering, Tyler’s family can breathe easy.

“I haven’t been able to sleep. It’s been really rough. Why he didn’t call and stay in touch, I don’t know, but I’m just glad he’s alive,” Burger said.

Family members haven’t yet traveled to Martinsville to find Tyler, but the trip is planned for the very near future. It is unclear why he chose to leave without notifying anyone, but for everyone who has been hoping and praying that Tyler would be found safe and alive, your prayers have been answered.

Burger said the family is grateful for the support they have received during the search and they will be reuniting with Tyler soon.

Contact: Amanda Browning 812-663-3111 x7004