Greensburg Daily News, Greensburg, IN

News

November 16, 2013

Fire Chief Chasteen offers winter heat safety tips

GREENSBURG – A home on North Broadway Street experienced a fire scare Friday morning, caused when someone dumped an ashtray into a trash can.

The cigarette butts in the ashtray were still hot and caused the contents of the waste bin to begin smoldering, which quickly filled the house with smoke. The home’s occupants called 911 and evacuated the house safely. EMS workers at the scene checked the residents for smoke inhalation damage and no injuries were reported.

When firefighters from the Greensburg Fire Department (GFD) arrived, they encountered heavy smoke in the house, but no fire. The trash can was found to be the source of the smoke and was taken outside where the smoldering trash was extinguished.

“It looked much worse than it was,” GFD Fire Chief Scott Chasteen said. “There was a lot of smoke, but no actual flames.”

The close call caused by a seemingly harmless action makes it seem wise to review fire and heat safety tips for the winter. The Daily News spoke with Chief Chasteen on Friday to learn ways to stay warm and safe during the cold weather.

To begin, Chasteen emphasized the danger of emptying ashtrays into trash cans because cigarette butts can stay hot for a long time.

“It’s best to use a metal container with nothing combustible inside, preferably sand or gravel,” he said.

Chasteen advised having one’s furnace inspected annually near the beginning of the cold weather season. A trained professional can inspect the heating equipment and make sure everything is in working order and is operating properly, reducing the possibility of the furnace causing a fire. All flammable material should be stored a safe distance away from the furnace, water heater and other appliances.

Alternative heating devices, like fireplaces and wood stoves should have the flues inspected to be certain they are clean of creosote, or soot, and that there are no cracks in the protective liners, according to Chasteen. Creosote can build up inside the flue and eventually catch fire. Because creosote burns extremely hot, it can cause cracks in the liner and superheated creosote can leak through cracks, increasing the risk of fire spreading by a great deal.

Text Only
News
  • Decatur County Events Calendar Local clubs, service groups, fraternal organizations and others are encouraged to send their Coming Events information to the Daily News at news@greensburgdailynews.com or Daily News, PO Box 106, Greensburg, IN 47240. April 22 1 to 3 p.m. - Euchre at

    April 19, 2014

  • Hoosiers need to move over for workers GREENSBURG - Hoosiers need to slow down and move over to allow a cushion of space for vehicles stopped on the road's shoulder, particularly on the interstates. National Work Zone Awareness Week was last week and the 17th anniversary of Indiana State

    April 19, 2014

  • Lunch Menus April 21 – April 25 Good Shepherd Christian Academy Monday - Pizza, grape tomatoes, strawberries and cake, milk Tuesday - Spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread, salad, ice cream, milk Wednesday - Chicken nuggets, tater tots, green beans, casserole, applesauce, milk Thu

    April 19, 2014

  • Graduation rates high GREENSBURG -- Greensburg and South Decatur High schools had among the best graduation rates in the state last year. North Decatur High School ranked near the middle, but still above the state average. Greensburg reported a graduation rate of 99.3 per

    April 19, 2014

  • nws-gb041914-pig virus photo Pig virus taking toll GREENSBURG -- When Decatur County farmer Jeff Smiley ducked into the nursery barn, about two dozen piglets rushed into a corner of their pen, their pinkish hides bouncing into one another like a porcine version of bumper cars. The piglet's round nose

    April 19, 2014 1 Photo

  • nws-gb041914-santee fire station - pic1 (please place on pg1) Clarksburg Vol. Fire Department breaks ground on Station 2 CLARKSBURG -- In 2012, members of the Clarksburg Volunteer Fire Department (CVFD) Board of Directors proposed building a new Firehouse to service the Lake Santee Community. CVFD Board President Wayne Geiss recalls that construction of a separate Fire

    April 19, 2014 3 Photos

  • A pedicure that cured all my pet peeves Since I was a young person, I always had some pets around. Most of these have been dogs, hunting dogs in particular. And I loved my pets. In getting older, I discovered that having a pet dog around is a lot of work. More work than I care to do in lig

    April 19, 2014

  • Church Briefs Liberty Baptist Church Sunday, April 20 - Resurrection Sunday Liberty Baptist Church will have Sunrise Service at 7 a.m. in the Sanctuary, with the women doing the program. Following the Sunrise service the men of the congregation will serve Easter B

    April 19, 2014

  • Cards RHP Kelly on DL WASHINGTON -- St. Louis Cardinals right-hander Joe Kelly has been put on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring. The Cardinals also optioned righty reliever Keith Butler to Triple-A Memphis and recalled rookie right-handers Eric Forn

    April 18, 2014

  • nws-gb041814-ymca flat rock - pic2 Local retreat mostly unknown around Decatur County ST. PAUL -- Out in the northwest corner of Decatur County lies a place that's largely unknown within the county itself. Oddly enough, this hideaway of natural splendor is anything but secret to the rest of the world. From Spain and Hong Kong they com

    April 18, 2014 2 Photos