Greensburg Daily News
---- — The Greensburg junior high girls cross country team placed fifth out of 26 teams at the Indiana Middle School Cross Country Championships in Carmel on Saturday, Oct. 5. Some of the best cross country teams across the State of Indiana competed against one another in two separate divisions at the Northview Church Campus Cross Country course.
Typically a fast course, the hilly terrain proved to be more challenging as evening rains and morning thunderstorms flooded the course. The young Greensburg Harriers displayed much fortitude as they splashed through standing water and slid on muddy hills. The Lady Pirates were highly competitive as they were just five points from beating the fourth-place Rochester Zebras. Seventh grader Morgan Winkler led the Lady Pirates by finishing 28th out of 226 individuals. The West Lafayette Red Devils were crowned the small school State Champions and Emma Wilson of Greencastle won the race in 10:55. The GJHS varsity girls individual results are as follows:
28. Morgan Winkler 12:25; 38. Cameron Jones 12:35; 51. Cathy Newhart 12:46; 80. Alexis Bidwell 13:15; 92. Alaina Nobbe 13:22; 128. Ellie Acra 13:54; 138. Bailey Menkedick 14:00; 173. Reagan White 14:30; 198. Delaney Bruns 15:03.
The Greensburg boys cross country team placed eighth out of 31 teams at the Indiana Middle School Cross Country Championships. The small-school division State Champions were from the Christian Academy of Indiana and the individual boys champion was Caleb Chapman of South Newton with a time of 10:06.
Two Pirates earned Indiana-All State honors as they placed in the top 25 out of 268 individuals from across the state of Indiana. Greensburg’s team leaders, seventh grader Eric Million and eighth grader Gus Gregory, placed ninth and 17th to earn the two Bucs Indiana All State Medals. Running in the fourth race of the day the Pirates had an incredibly muddy course to race through. Despite the conditions, Kellen Bruns managed to run a new personal record by dropping nine seconds from his previous best.
The GJHS varsity boys individual results are as follows:
9. Eric MIllion 10:54; 17. Gus Gregory 11:03; 38. Trevor Foster 11:29; 111. Dylan Brown 12:21; 129. Eric Fisse 12:32; 157. Collin Springmeyer 12:47; 166. Kellen Bruns 12:50*; 185. Trae LItmer 13:02; 226. Kyran Luken 13:46; 227. Charlie Pumphrey 13:48.
The wet morning events in Carmel began with the JV girls race of 216 participants. The Lady Pirates were very successful as eight of the 10 girls ran new personal bests of the season. Molly Brandes improved the most by dropping over a minute from her previous personal best while her sister Miranda Brandes set a new career best with a 26-second improvement. Andrea Graber of Barr Reeve won the JV race in 12:30.
The GJHS JV girls results are as follows with * marking new PRs:
80. Alexis Wilson 14:33*; 100. Koregan Kidd 14:57*; 128. Miranda Brandes 15:23*; 131. Molly Brandes 15:26*; 135. Sonya Bate 15:31*; 144. Allison Ralston, 15:37*; 145. Brooklyn Jackson 15:45*;
160. Kennedy McCullough, 16:04; 121. Addison Ashe 16:56*; 181. Adrienne Horan 17:21.
Hunter takes 9th to lead JV Pirates
The JV boys persevered through the most extraordinary race situation. After three separate race starts and a thunderstorm delay, the boys were finally able to complete the race from start to finish.
The first start was ceased after some of the competitors fell within 100m from the line. The second start was successful, but then the boys were stopped over halfway through the event.
Eighth grade Pirate Jesse Hunter led the first 400m of this JV boys race against 239 opponents. However, almost a mile into the JV race, inclement weather came upon Carmel and forced race officials to stop the event and postpone until weather conditions were safe.
After about a 45-minute delay, the JV race was started from the beginning for the third time. The young JV Pirates ran great through this unique experience and battled through the mud and the rain. Hunter continued to be competitive through this final race and finished in ninth place, earning him a ribbon for his performance. Luke Blaze of Plaza Park won the event in 11:25.
The GJHS JV boys results are as follows:
9. Jesse Hunter 11:52; 147. Nick Bailey 14:06; 167. Koltan McCullough 14:25; 187. Dylan Gauck 14:52; 210. Tyler Martin 15:31 210 JV; 215. Branson Schonfeld 15:39; 221. Jackson Jones 16:11; 222. Trevor Lee 16:12; 238. Cole Carder 19:46.