Greensburg Daily News, Greensburg, IN

News

February 11, 2013

Apartment fire displaces occupant

Greensburg — A fire resulted in significant damage to a Vine Street apartment Sunday night.

Greensburg Fire Chief Scott Chasteen told the Daily News the incident occurred at approximately 11:18 p.m. Sunday, at 220 South Vine Street, apartment 3.

A neighbor awoke to the smell of smoke in the building, Chasteen said. The neighbor searched his own residence for evidence of a fire, found none, then noticed darkened windows in apartment 3. The neighbor felt the door of the apartment, which was hot, prompting him to call 911.

The neighbor was not certain as to whether or not the occupant of apartment 3, Hunter Cubel, was home at the time of the fire.

Greensburg Fire Department personnel arrived moments after the call and entered the residence in an effort to rescue possible occupants. The fire was extinguished soon after. Cubel was discovered to be away at work at the time of the fire.

Chief Chasteen said investigators discovered a space heater plugged into an extension cord which they believe caused the fire. Chasteen said the heater and “several other items” plugged into the extension cord caused the cord to heat up, leading to a chair in the living room catching fire. The blaze then spread to other furniture in the home, but fire responders were able to keep it localized, preventing further damage to the structure.

The home is presently uninhabitable and many of Cubel’s personal belongings were destroyed or suffered smoke damage. The American Red Cross is assisting the victim with clothing and food. Chasteen said Cubel will stay with a family member.

The other three apartments in the building suffered no damage and their tenants remain there, the fire chief said. Fire responders estimated $5,000 worth of damage to items belonging to Cubel and about $15,000 worth of damage to the structure as a whole.

Chasteen said the efforts of the Greensburg Police Department dispatchers were exemplary Sunday night.

“They did a great job in getting us the information, including the possibility there was a victim (in the fire),” the chief said Monday.

Chasteen also urged caution when using space heaters.

“Any time you’re going to use a space heater, make sure the circuit is big enough to handle it,” he said. “Don’t use extension cords.”

The Greensburg Fire Depatment was assisted at the scene by the Greensburg Police Department, Decatur County EMS and representatives of Duke Energy.

Contact: Brent Brown 812-663-3111 x7056

 

1
Text Only
News
  • nws-gb073114 miss tree city preview photo Miss Tree City to be named in Saturday ceremony GREENSBURG — Five contestants will vie Saturday to serve as Miss Tree City and to reign over the Tree City Fall Festival in late September.The competition will be at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at the Greensburg Learning Center, 422 E. Central Ave. Admission

    July 31, 2014 1 Photo

  • nws-gb073114 Steam show 1 jpg Indiana Pioneer Engineers Club Steam Engine Show and Reunion starts today The 66th annual Indiana Pioneer Steam Engine Show and Reunion will be held beginning today and continue through Aug. 3 at Caldwell Acres, 3707 South CR 200W. For more than half a century, Rush County has hosted members and visitors from all over the

    July 31, 2014 2 Photos

  • Inside Indiana Business with Indiana with Gerry Dick Grants Boost Arts InitiativesMore than 260 groups and individuals are sharing in nearly $2.7 million to support arts programs. The Indiana Arts Commission says the funding is from federal and state sources and will go to organizations including the

    July 31, 2014

  • Thank you for helping fight child abuse Thank you for fighting child abuseDear Editor:My name is Bill Parsons, this year’s organizer of the Devin Lee Parsons Never Be Forgotten Ride, Fighting Against Child Abuse.I want to thank all our sponsors; you have all helped us get closer to our goa

    July 31, 2014

  • nws-gb073114-lions club pic Greensburg Lions seeking new members for service GREENSBURG – =Newly-elected president Darryl Cruser opened his first meeting of the Greensburg Lions Club Monday evening at the Decatur County REMC meeting room.The Lions enjoyed a delicious dinner catered by Koch’s for their monthly meeting and chat

    July 31, 2014 1 Photo

  • Decatur County Events Calendar Local clubs, service groups, fraternal organizations and others are encouraged to send their Coming Events information to the Daily News at news@greensburgdailynews.com or Daily News, PO Box 106, Greensburg, IN 47240. All July – International Crafts

    July 31, 2014

  • Young's Social Impact Bond Act a bipartisan effort ANN ARBOR, Mich. – We live in an era of eroding faith in government while we face an array of intractable problems.U.S. Rep. Todd Young entered Congress as part of the 2010 Tea Party wave that was fueled by distrust of an expanding federal government

    July 31, 2014

  • Man dies in collision with semi GREENSBURG – Police say a Greensburg man died early Wednesday from injuries sustained when his car collided with a semi trailer at the intersection of State Road 3 and Highway 421.Information provided by Greensburg Chief of Police Stacey Chasteen sta

    July 31, 2014

  • nws-gb073114-youth to yellowstone pic 2 Yellowstone trip forges friendships, lasting memories GREENSBURG – It took about 26 hours for several local students to travel by van to Yellowstone National Park earlier this month, but it took far less time for the group to become friends of the closest kind.Soon-to-be seniors from all three local hig

    July 31, 2014 2 Photos

  • Club Chatter Night Club Extension HomemakersThe Night Club met July 2, 2014 at the home of Liz Hally with Janet Bedel as “absentee” co-hostess. Seven members were in attendance with one guest, Isabell Royce. Loretta Macyauski, vice president, opened the meeting b

    July 30, 2014