Louis Ray Holtzclaw, 79, passed away Jan. 22, 2013.
He was born Sept. 18, 1933, to the late Bert and Lettie (Brown) Holtzclaw, and was one of eight children. Lou graduated from Sandcreek High School.
After high school, he went to Georgetown College in Kentucky, graduating Summa Cum Laude, 1955. He returned to Sandcreek, where he taught history, Latin, and math, and coached junior high basketball.
During the summer, he attended both Indiana University and Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, later completing his Master of Divinity degree. He was a senior minister at Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church, Shelbyville, as well as at First Indiana Baptist Church, LaPorte, and, later, at First Baptist Church, Sullivan.
Lou then went back to school at Ball State University, Muncie, where he earned his Doctorate in Education.
In 1977, he became one of a team of three appointed by IU’s president to start an adult-degree program for all eight IU campuses throughout the state. After 21 years, he retired from IU, and, within one month, the University of Indianapolis asked him to become founding Dean of the new School for Adult Learning.
In 1981, Lou and his wife, Marlene, purchased 56 acres at the south edge of Greenfield, where they built an Executive Golf Course and Driving Range on the Brandywine called Shekinah. Throughout his life, he was involved with sports, playing with the traveling 70-year-old-and-up men's softball team.
He ended up pitching for the Shekinah team at Brandywine Park and in the Shelbyville League for the 50-year-and-older team.
Lou is survived by his wife of 59 years, Marlene (Tichenor) Holtzclaw; son: Howard (Bindy); daughters: Donieta and Lisa (David); six grandchildren: Kandis, Kyle, Rachel, Max, Hallie, and Sadie; sisters: Jean Dreyer and Ila Mae Slinker; and brother: David Holtzclaw. Preceding him in death were his siblings: Loyd, Luella, Donna, and Shirley.
Visitation will take place from 3 to 7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 25, at Erlewein Mortuary, Greenfield.
Funeral services will take place at 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26 at the mortuary.
Burial will take place at Park Cemetery, Greenfield. Friends may share a memory or offer condolences at www.erleweinmortuary.com, or email condolences to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Louis Ray Holtzclaw, 79, passed away Jan. 22, 2013.
- Gertie B. Brockman, 98 May 7, 1916 - July 25, 2014 Gertie B. Brockman, 98, passed away July 25, 2014. She was born May 7, 1916, the daughter of Alonzo T. and Ida K. (Boring) Bailey.She graduated from Greensburg High School in 1934. On June 27, 1942, she married Melvin. Brockman.Gertie owned and opera
- Jerry Lee Mann, 75 Jerry Lee Mann, 75, of Greensburg, passed away Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at St. Andrews Health Campus, Batesville.Jerry was born in Grant County, March 24, 1939, to Jack Norman and Vera A. (Poindexter) Mann.Jerry worked for MiTech and Smith Implements
- Phyllis Jean Chitwood, 89 April 23, 1925 - July 20, 2014 Phyllis Jean Chitwood, 89, of Greensburg, passed away Sunday, July 20, at Decatur County Memorial Hospital. Phyllis was born April 23, 1925 in Sharpsville, the daughter of Park and Marjorie Snyder. On May 9, 1946, she married Kenneth Chitwood in Kala
- James Lee Meyers, 69 Sept. 9, 1944 - July 18, 2014 James Lee Meyers, 69, New Castle, died Friday, July 18, 2014, among family.Born: Sept. 9, 1944, Batesville, to Edna (Denker) and Aloise E Meyers.Married: Nancy A. (Norrick) Meyers April 10, 1985.Graveside Service: East Brook Cemetery, Milroy, 10 a.m.
- Jack Kenneth Branstutter, 75 Aug. 28 1938 – July 19, 2014 Jack Kenneth Branstutter, 75, of North Vernon, passed away Saturday, July, 19, 2014.Jack was a United States Army veteran, and retired from Print Pack in Greensburg after 25 years of service.Cremation was chosen following Jack’s wishes. Newcomer Fune
- Viola Mae Pickett, 102 Sept. 15, 1911 - July 18, 2014 Viola Mae Pickett, 102, of Holton, passed away Friday, July 18, 2014.Visitation was from 5 to 7 p.m. Monday at Neal’s Funeral Home, Osgood.Funeral services begin at 10 a.m. Tuesday, July 22, at the funeral home. Doors open at 9 a.m.Burial in Holton C
- Beverly Ann Hawkins-Clark, 79 Jan. 9, 1935 - July 19, 2014 Beverly Ann (Haas) Hawkins-Clark, 79, of Plattsmouth, Nebraska passed away Saturday, July 19, 2014 in Bellevue, Nebraska.Beverly was born Jan. 9, 1935 to Lawrence Francis and Violet May (Land) Haas in North Bend, Ohio. She was raised in Madison and G
- Beverly J. Gardner, 78 Jan. 8, 1936 - July 19, 2014 Beverly J. Gardner, 78, Greensburg, passed away Saturday, July 19, 2014, at Heritage House Nursing Home in Greensburg.Born Jan. 8, 1936, in Hannibal, Missouri, she was the daughter of Edward “Whitey” Alexander and Ida M. (McCann) Turner.She was a 195
- Leland E. "Pid" Hood, 88 July 13, 1926 - July 17, 2014 Leland E. “Pid” Hood, 88, of New Castle, passed away Thursday, July 17, 2014 at Henry County Hospital. He was born July 13, 1926 in Greensburg, to the late Charles and Bessie Mabel (Robbins) Hood.Leland was a great husband, father, grandfather and gr
- Abigail Marie "Abbi" Baker, 29 Aug. 18, 1984 - July 13, 2014 Abigail Marie “Abbi” Baker, 29, of Indianapolis, passed away Sunday, July 13, 2014 at her residence. She was born Aug. 18, 1984 in Columbus, the daughter of Marvin Baker and the late Martha Jo McCullough. She was raised and lived most of her life in
- More Obituaries Headlines