Louis Ray Holtzclaw, 79, passed away Jan. 22, 2013.
He was born Sept. 18, 1933, to the late Bert and Lettie (Brown) Holtzclaw, and was one of eight children. Lou graduated from Sandcreek High School.
After high school, he went to Georgetown College in Kentucky, graduating Summa Cum Laude, 1955. He returned to Sandcreek, where he taught history, Latin, and math, and coached junior high basketball.
During the summer, he attended both Indiana University and Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, later completing his Master of Divinity degree. He was a senior minister at Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church, Shelbyville, as well as at First Indiana Baptist Church, LaPorte, and, later, at First Baptist Church, Sullivan.
Lou then went back to school at Ball State University, Muncie, where he earned his Doctorate in Education.
In 1977, he became one of a team of three appointed by IU’s president to start an adult-degree program for all eight IU campuses throughout the state. After 21 years, he retired from IU, and, within one month, the University of Indianapolis asked him to become founding Dean of the new School for Adult Learning.
In 1981, Lou and his wife, Marlene, purchased 56 acres at the south edge of Greenfield, where they built an Executive Golf Course and Driving Range on the Brandywine called Shekinah. Throughout his life, he was involved with sports, playing with the traveling 70-year-old-and-up men's softball team.
He ended up pitching for the Shekinah team at Brandywine Park and in the Shelbyville League for the 50-year-and-older team.
Lou is survived by his wife of 59 years, Marlene (Tichenor) Holtzclaw; son: Howard (Bindy); daughters: Donieta and Lisa (David); six grandchildren: Kandis, Kyle, Rachel, Max, Hallie, and Sadie; sisters: Jean Dreyer and Ila Mae Slinker; and brother: David Holtzclaw. Preceding him in death were his siblings: Loyd, Luella, Donna, and Shirley.
Visitation will take place from 3 to 7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 25, at Erlewein Mortuary, Greenfield.
Funeral services will take place at 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26 at the mortuary.
Burial will take place at Park Cemetery, Greenfield. Friends may share a memory or offer condolences at www.erleweinmortuary.com, or email condolences to email@example.com.
Louis Ray Holtzclaw, 79, passed away Jan. 22, 2013.
- Larry Dale Wright, 67 Sept. 17, 1946 - Dec. 9, 2013 A Celebration of LifeThe family of Larry Dale Wright would like to invite you to join us in the celebration of his life. The service will be held from 2 to 5 p.m., Sunday, July 27, at the Knights of St. John Hall, 312 S. Wilder Street, Greensburg.Mr.
- Larry A. Davis Sr., 69 Nov. 21, 1944 – July 26, 2014 Larry A. Davis Sr., 69, Greensburg, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Major Hospital in Shelbyville.Born Nov. 21, 1944, in Beech Grove, he was the son of Elbert Davis and Viola (Cramer) Gauck.Larry graduated from St. Paul High School and he was
- Gertie B. Brockman, 98 May 7, 1916 - July 25, 2014 Gertie B. Brockman, 98, passed away July 25, 2014. She was born May 7, 1916, the daughter of Alonzo T. and Ida K. (Boring) Bailey.She was a 1934 graduate of Greensburg High School. On June 27, 1942, she married Melvin G. Brockman.Gertie owned and ope
- Lelah Marjean Wolfe Keller, 89 Dec. 18, 1924 – July 27, 2014 Lelah Marjean Wolfe Keller, 89, left her earthly home on July 27, 2014, to meet Jesus and her family members who have preceded her in the resurrection of life through her Lord, Jesus Christ.She was born Dec. 18, 1924, to Harold and Edna (Walker) Wolf
- Charles Paul Meister, 81 Jan. 24, 1933 - July 27, 2014 Charles Paul Meister, 81, of Osgood, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014.Visitation is from 10 a.m. until time of funeral services at noon Tuesday, July 29, at St. John’s Catholic Church of Osgood.Military graveside services by Osgood American Legion a
- Gertie B. Brockman, 98 May 7, 1916 - July 25, 2014 Gertie B. Brockman, 98, passed away July 25, 2014. She was born May 7, 1916, the daughter of Alonzo T. and Ida K. (Boring) Bailey.She graduated from Greensburg High School in 1934. On June 27, 1942, she married Melvin. Brockman.Gertie owned and opera
- Jerry Lee Mann, 75 Jerry Lee Mann, 75, of Greensburg, passed away Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at St. Andrews Health Campus, Batesville.Jerry was born in Grant County, March 24, 1939, to Jack Norman and Vera A. (Poindexter) Mann.Jerry worked for MiTech and Smith Implements
- Phyllis Jean Chitwood, 89 April 23, 1925 - July 20, 2014 Phyllis Jean Chitwood, 89, of Greensburg, passed away Sunday, July 20, at Decatur County Memorial Hospital. Phyllis was born April 23, 1925 in Sharpsville, the daughter of Park and Marjorie Snyder. On May 9, 1946, she married Kenneth Chitwood in Kala
- James Lee Meyers, 69 Sept. 9, 1944 - July 18, 2014 James Lee Meyers, 69, New Castle, died Friday, July 18, 2014, among family.Born: Sept. 9, 1944, Batesville, to Edna (Denker) and Aloise E Meyers.Married: Nancy A. (Norrick) Meyers April 10, 1985.Graveside Service: East Brook Cemetery, Milroy, 10 a.m.
- Jack Kenneth Branstutter, 75 Aug. 28 1938 – July 19, 2014 Jack Kenneth Branstutter, 75, of North Vernon, passed away Saturday, July, 19, 2014.Jack was a United States Army veteran, and retired from Print Pack in Greensburg after 25 years of service.Cremation was chosen following Jack’s wishes. Newcomer Fune
- More Obituaries Headlines