Louis Ray Holtzclaw, 79, passed away Jan. 22, 2013.
He was born Sept. 18, 1933, to the late Bert and Lettie (Brown) Holtzclaw, and was one of eight children. Lou graduated from Sandcreek High School.
After high school, he went to Georgetown College in Kentucky, graduating Summa Cum Laude, 1955. He returned to Sandcreek, where he taught history, Latin, and math, and coached junior high basketball.
During the summer, he attended both Indiana University and Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, later completing his Master of Divinity degree. He was a senior minister at Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church, Shelbyville, as well as at First Indiana Baptist Church, LaPorte, and, later, at First Baptist Church, Sullivan.
Lou then went back to school at Ball State University, Muncie, where he earned his Doctorate in Education.
In 1977, he became one of a team of three appointed by IU’s president to start an adult-degree program for all eight IU campuses throughout the state. After 21 years, he retired from IU, and, within one month, the University of Indianapolis asked him to become founding Dean of the new School for Adult Learning.
In 1981, Lou and his wife, Marlene, purchased 56 acres at the south edge of Greenfield, where they built an Executive Golf Course and Driving Range on the Brandywine called Shekinah. Throughout his life, he was involved with sports, playing with the traveling 70-year-old-and-up men's softball team.
He ended up pitching for the Shekinah team at Brandywine Park and in the Shelbyville League for the 50-year-and-older team.
Lou is survived by his wife of 59 years, Marlene (Tichenor) Holtzclaw; son: Howard (Bindy); daughters: Donieta and Lisa (David); six grandchildren: Kandis, Kyle, Rachel, Max, Hallie, and Sadie; sisters: Jean Dreyer and Ila Mae Slinker; and brother: David Holtzclaw. Preceding him in death were his siblings: Loyd, Luella, Donna, and Shirley.
Visitation will take place from 3 to 7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 25, at Erlewein Mortuary, Greenfield.
Funeral services will take place at 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26 at the mortuary.
Burial will take place at Park Cemetery, Greenfield. Friends may share a memory or offer condolences at www.erleweinmortuary.com, or email condolences to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Louis Ray Holtzclaw, 79, passed away Jan. 22, 2013.
- Maryland Beth Beard, 89 March 11, 1925 – April 17, 2014 |Maryland Beth Beard, 89, passed away April 17, 2014, at the Brennity in Fairhope, Ala. She was born on March 11, 1925, in Detroit, Mich., the daughter of Royal Bartsch and Maryland Murphy. On December 30, 1948, she married Ronald Beard and moved to
- Lawrence E. Schroeder, 94 Aug. 21, 1919 - April 21, 2014 Lawrence E. Schroeder, 94, Greensburg, passed away Monday, April 21, 2014 at Heritage House, Greensburg. Born Aug. 21, 1919 in Decatur County, he was the son of Edward H. and Josephine (Walters) Schroeder. Lawrence retired from Ripley County Beverage
- Brenda Precious Ross McMillian, 67 March 2, 1947 - April 22, 2014 Brenda Precious Ross McMillian, 67, of North Vernon, passed away Tuesday, April 22, 2014. Visitation is from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, April 25, at Dove-Sharp & Rudicel Funeral Home, North Vernon. Funeral begins at 10 a.m. Saturday, April 26, at the funera
- Edith May Aulbach, 99 Aug. 18, 1914 - April 22, 2014 Edith May Aulbach, 99, passed away Tuesday, April 22, 2014, in Napoleon. Visitation is from 10 to 11 a.m. Friday, April 25, at St. Maurice Catholic Church in Napoleon, followed by funeral services at 11 a.m. Burial follows in St. Michael's Cemetery,
- Lawrence E. Schroeder, 94 Aug. 21, 1919 - April 21, 2014 Lawrence E. Schroeder, 94, Greensburg, passed away Monday, April 21, 2014, at Heritage House in Greensburg. Born Aug. 21, 1919, in Decatur County, he was the son of Edward H. and Josephine (Walters) Schroeder. Lawrence retired from the Ripley County
- Marvin Cox, 67 Marvin Cox, 67, of Rushville, passed away Saturday, April 19, 2014, while in the company of family members, at Morristown Manor. Marvin was born on June 9, 1946, a son of the late Carmen (Richards) and Hubert E Cox. Funeral Service will be at 10 a.m.
Lorie A. Crane, 44
Lorie A. Crane, 44, Greensburg, passed away Sunday, April 20, 2014, at her residence in Greensburg. She was born on Dec. 23, 1969, in Anderson. Lorie had previously worked for DSI in Greensburg. She is survived by two daughters, Kayla Platt (Mike Col
- Frank E. Harris Jr., 60 Frank E. Harris Jr., 60, of Butlerville passed away Friday, April 19, 2014, at his residence. A funeral service will be conducted at 7: 30 p.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014, at Sawyer – Pickett Funeral & Cremation Service. Rev. Raymond Spicer will officia
- Matthew D. Grimes, 37 March 17, 1977 - April 18, 2014 Matthew D. Grimes, 37, Greensburg, passed away Friday, April 18, 2014 at his residence in Greensburg. Born March 17, 1977 in Greensburg, he was the son of Floyd D. "Duke" and Nancy D. (Smith) Grimes. Matt was a 1996 graduate of Greensburg Community
- Donald E. Faulconer, 83 Oct. 2, 1930 - April 17, 2014 Donald E. Faulconer, 83, of Greensburg, passed away Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Major Hospital in Shelbyville. He was born Oct. 2, 1930 in Shelby County, the son of Howard and Pearl (Hawkins) Faulconer. He married Virginia (McComas) Faulconer Aug. 1
- More Obituaries Headlines