Louis Ray Holtzclaw, 79, passed away Jan. 22, 2013.
He was born Sept. 18, 1933, to the late Bert and Lettie (Brown) Holtzclaw, and was one of eight children. Lou graduated from Sandcreek High School.
After high school, he went to Georgetown College in Kentucky, graduating Summa Cum Laude, 1955. He returned to Sandcreek, where he taught history, Latin, and math, and coached junior high basketball.
During the summer, he attended both Indiana University and Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, later completing his Master of Divinity degree. He was a senior minister at Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church, Shelbyville, as well as at First Indiana Baptist Church, LaPorte, and, later, at First Baptist Church, Sullivan.
Lou then went back to school at Ball State University, Muncie, where he earned his Doctorate in Education.
In 1977, he became one of a team of three appointed by IU’s president to start an adult-degree program for all eight IU campuses throughout the state. After 21 years, he retired from IU, and, within one month, the University of Indianapolis asked him to become founding Dean of the new School for Adult Learning.
In 1981, Lou and his wife, Marlene, purchased 56 acres at the south edge of Greenfield, where they built an Executive Golf Course and Driving Range on the Brandywine called Shekinah. Throughout his life, he was involved with sports, playing with the traveling 70-year-old-and-up men's softball team.
He ended up pitching for the Shekinah team at Brandywine Park and in the Shelbyville League for the 50-year-and-older team.
Lou is survived by his wife of 59 years, Marlene (Tichenor) Holtzclaw; son: Howard (Bindy); daughters: Donieta and Lisa (David); six grandchildren: Kandis, Kyle, Rachel, Max, Hallie, and Sadie; sisters: Jean Dreyer and Ila Mae Slinker; and brother: David Holtzclaw. Preceding him in death were his siblings: Loyd, Luella, Donna, and Shirley.
Visitation will take place from 3 to 7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 25, at Erlewein Mortuary, Greenfield.
Funeral services will take place at 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26 at the mortuary.
Burial will take place at Park Cemetery, Greenfield. Friends may share a memory or offer condolences at www.erleweinmortuary.com, or email condolences to email@example.com.
Louis Ray Holtzclaw, 79, passed away Jan. 22, 2013.
- Colleen Cherry, 51 Dec. 29, 1962 – March 4, 2014 |Colleen Cherry, 51, of Greensburg, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014. She was born Dec. 29, 1962, in Anaheim, Calif., the daughter of Hugh and Rosanne Miller. Colleen graduated from South Decatur High School in 1981. She was a quality control spec
- Walter Joseph Allen, 88 April 19, 1925 - March 4, 2014 Walter Joseph Allen, 88, Greensburg, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at Heritage House Nursing Home in Greensburg. Born April 19, 1925 in Decatur County, he was the son of William Walter and Velma Gayle (Skinner) Allen. Walter helped his father as
- Charles L. Flick Jr., 87 Dec. 7, 1926 - March 3, 2014 Charles L. Flick Jr., 87, of the Hopewell community near Holton, passed away Monday, March 3, 2014, at Columbus Regional Hospital. He was born near Holton Dec. 7, 1926, the son of Charles and Emma (Detraz) Flick. He married Mabel Comer Oct. 15, 1949;
- Thomas R. Waechter, 64 Thomas R. Waechter, 64, of Oldenburg, passed away Sunday, March 2, 2014. Visitation is from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, March 7, at Weigel Funeral Home, Batesville. A service will follow. Funeral begins at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, at Holy Family Catholic Church,
- Annabelle Kelley, 90 July 25, 1923 - March 3, 2014 Annabelle Kelley, 90, of Waldron, passed away Monday, March 3, 2014. Visitation is from 10 to 11 a.m. Friday, March 7, at Glenn E. George & Son Funeral Home, Shelbyville, with funeral services beginning at 11 a.m. Burial follows in Van Pelt Cemetery
- Jean (Arthur) Bennett, 88 Mrs. Jean (Arthur) Bennett, 88, of Columbus, passed away Saturday, March 1, 2014. Funeral services begin at 11 a.m. Saturday, March 8, at Bass & Gasper Funeral Home. Visitation is from 9 a.m. until time of service. Burial in Westport Cemetery. Memori
- Dale E. Schofner, 74 Jan. 15, 1940 - March 1, 2014 Dale E. Schofner, 74, of Shelbyville, passed away Saturday, March 1, 2014. Funeral services begin at 10 a.m. Friday, March 7, at St. Joseph Catholic Church. Burial follows in the church cemetery. Visitation is from 4 to 8 p.m. Thursday, March 6, at M
- Martha L. Holt, 89 April 18, 1924 - Feb. 28, 2014 Martha L. Holt, 89, of Waldron, passed away Friday, Feb. 28, 2014. Funeral services begin at 2 p.m. Friday, March 7, at Glenn E. George Funeral Home, St. Paul. Visitation is from 4 to 8 p.m. Thursday, March 6. Burial follows in Van Pelt Cemetery. Ma
- Jean (Arthur) Bennett, 88 Mrs. Jean (Arthur) Bennett, 88, of Columbus, passed away Saturday, March 1, 2014. Funeral services begin at 11 a.m. Sunday, March 8, at Bass & Gasper Funeral Home. Visitation is from 9 a.m. until time of service. Burial in Westport Cemetery. Memorial
- John Marshall Mann, 60 March 13, 1953 - March 1, 2014 John Marshall Mann, 60, of Osgood, passed away Saturday, March 1, 2014. Funeral services begin at 6 p.m. Thursday, March 6, at Osgood First Baptist Church. Visitation is from 4 p.m. until time of service Thursday. Private burial services for family o
- More Obituaries Headlines