William Gifford Dring, formerly of Greensburg, passed away Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2012 at the age of 90.
He is survived by daughters Jane (J. William) Overbay of Lafayette, and Linda (Andy) Kasianchuk of Crown Point,; grandchildren Evan (Autumn) Overbay, Sarah (Richard) Grimes and Jeff Kasianchuk; and great-granddaughter Carrie Overbay.
Bill was preceded in death by his wife Mildred Dring; daughter Beth Dring; grandson Steven Kasianchuk and sister Beth Helmers.
Bill was born and raised in Chicago, Ill. He was a U.S. Navy veteran and served in the South Pacific during World War II.
After the war, he returned to Chicago where he met and married his wife, Mildred. They relocated to Wakarusa, where they owned and operated a rural telephone company.
In 1955, Bill sold the telephone company and the family moved to Greensburg.
Bill was the assistant manager and later general manager of Greensburg’s Public Telephone Company. He was a member of First Baptist Church, where he served as a deacon and chaired a building committee in the 1960s.
He also belonged to the Rotary Club and served on the board of directors of the Indiana Telephone Association. In 1972, Bill accepted the job of operating manager of the Princeton Telephone Co. in Princeton, where he worked until retiring in 1984. He and his wife moved to Tavares, Fla. where he enjoyed many years of playing softball, fishing, golfing, making stained glass, and extensive worldwide travel.
He moved back to Indiana in 2003 and lived in Crown Point and Lafayette to be closer to his daughters.
A graveside service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday Nov. 10 at South Park Cemetery, Pastor J. William Overbay officiating.
Arrangements by Soller-Baker Funeral Home.
- Edith May Aulbach, 99 Aug. 18, 1914 - April 22, 2014 Edith May Aulbach, 99, passed away Tuesday, April 22, 2014, in Napoleon. Visitation is from 10 to 11 a.m. Friday, April 25, at St. Maurice Catholic Church in Napoleon, followed by funeral services at 11 a.m. Burial follows in St. Michael's Cemetery,
- Lawrence E. Schroeder, 94 Aug. 21, 1919 - April 21, 2014 Lawrence E. Schroeder, 94, Greensburg, passed away Monday, April 21, 2014, at Heritage House in Greensburg. Born Aug. 21, 1919, in Decatur County, he was the son of Edward H. and Josephine (Walters) Schroeder. Lawrence retired from the Ripley County
- Marvin Cox, 67 Marvin Cox, 67, of Rushville, passed away Saturday, April 19, 2014, while in the company of family members, at Morristown Manor. Marvin was born on June 9, 1946, a son of the late Carmen (Richards) and Hubert E Cox. Funeral Service will be at 10 a.m.
Lorie A. Crane, 44
Lorie A. Crane, 44, Greensburg, passed away Sunday, April 20, 2014, at her residence in Greensburg. She was born on Dec. 23, 1969, in Anderson. Lorie had previously worked for DSI in Greensburg. She is survived by two daughters, Kayla Platt (Mike Col
- Frank E. Harris Jr., 60 Frank E. Harris Jr., 60, of Butlerville passed away Friday, April 19, 2014, at his residence. A funeral service will be conducted at 7: 30 p.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014, at Sawyer – Pickett Funeral & Cremation Service. Rev. Raymond Spicer will officia
- Matthew D. Grimes, 37 March 17, 1977 - April 18, 2014 Matthew D. Grimes, 37, Greensburg, passed away Friday, April 18, 2014 at his residence in Greensburg. Born March 17, 1977 in Greensburg, he was the son of Floyd D. "Duke" and Nancy D. (Smith) Grimes. Matt was a 1996 graduate of Greensburg Community
- Donald E. Faulconer, 83 Oct. 2, 1930 - April 17, 2014 Donald E. Faulconer, 83, of Greensburg, passed away Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Major Hospital in Shelbyville. He was born Oct. 2, 1930 in Shelby County, the son of Howard and Pearl (Hawkins) Faulconer. He married Virginia (McComas) Faulconer Aug. 1
- Michael Tungate, 60 Sept. 5, 1953 - April 18, 2014 Michael Tungate, 60, a long-time Rushville resident, passed away April 18, 2014 in Rushville. He was born Sept. 5, 1953 in Rushville to Elmer and Marcia (Gephart) Tungate. Mike worked for Shares, Inc. in Shelbyville for the last 20 years. He was an
- Velma Carrie Lutes, 86 April 6, 1928 – April 14, 2014 Velma Carrie Lutes, 86, died Monday, April 14, 2014. Services will be all in one day on Thursday, April 17, at Neal's Funeral Home in Osgood. Visitation is from 10 a.m. to noon and the funeral service will begin at noon, followed by burial in St. Joh
- Clara Agnes Manlief, 97 April 10, 1917 - April 16, 2014 Clara Agnes Manlief, 97, of Cincinnati, Ohio passed away Wednesday, April 16, 2014, in the Twin Towers at Cincinnati. She was born April 10, 1917 in Jennings County, the daughter of Clinton Clyde and Mary Elizabeth (Shoemake) Manlief. She was a gra
- More Obituaries Headlines