William Gifford Dring, formerly of Greensburg, passed away Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2012 at the age of 90.
He is survived by daughters Jane (J. William) Overbay of Lafayette, and Linda (Andy) Kasianchuk of Crown Point,; grandchildren Evan (Autumn) Overbay, Sarah (Richard) Grimes and Jeff Kasianchuk; and great-granddaughter Carrie Overbay.
Bill was preceded in death by his wife Mildred Dring; daughter Beth Dring; grandson Steven Kasianchuk and sister Beth Helmers.
Bill was born and raised in Chicago, Ill. He was a U.S. Navy veteran and served in the South Pacific during World War II.
After the war, he returned to Chicago where he met and married his wife, Mildred. They relocated to Wakarusa, where they owned and operated a rural telephone company.
In 1955, Bill sold the telephone company and the family moved to Greensburg.
Bill was the assistant manager and later general manager of Greensburg’s Public Telephone Company. He was a member of First Baptist Church, where he served as a deacon and chaired a building committee in the 1960s.
He also belonged to the Rotary Club and served on the board of directors of the Indiana Telephone Association. In 1972, Bill accepted the job of operating manager of the Princeton Telephone Co. in Princeton, where he worked until retiring in 1984. He and his wife moved to Tavares, Fla. where he enjoyed many years of playing softball, fishing, golfing, making stained glass, and extensive worldwide travel.
He moved back to Indiana in 2003 and lived in Crown Point and Lafayette to be closer to his daughters.
A graveside service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday Nov. 10 at South Park Cemetery, Pastor J. William Overbay officiating.
Arrangements by Soller-Baker Funeral Home.
- Cora Marie Crawley, 87 April 17, 1926 - Dec. 5, 2013 Cora Marie Crawley, 87 of Greensburg, passed away Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013 at Aspen Place Health Campus. Cora was born April 17, 1926 in Decatur County, the daughter of Gilbert and Opal McCullough-Heaton. Cora was a 1944 graduate of Burney High School.
- Opal Dale-Pruitt, 96 Oct. 26, 1917 - Dec. 5, 2013 Opal Dale-Pruitt, 96, of Greensburg, was born in Ashland, Ky., to Harden Dale and Mima Skaggs Dale, Oct. 26, 1917. She was married to Clayton Pruitt for 57 years, and he lovingly cared for her during her extended illness. Opal went to heaven Thursda
- Richard Lee “Dickie” White, 66
- Kevin A. Adams, 53 Kevin A. Adams, 53, of Indianapolis passed away Tuesday, Dec. 3, 2013. Funeral services begin at 1 p.m. Friday at Norman Funeral Home in Hope. Visitation is from 11 a.m. until time of service Friday. Burial follows in Rest Haven Cemetery in Edinburgh
- Eugene J. "Red" Billman, 84 May 25, 1929 - Dec. 2, 2013 Eugene J. "Red" Billman, 84, of Batesville, passed away Monday, Dec. 2, 2013 at his home. Born May 25, 1929 in Batesville, he was the son of Lena (Eckstein) and Charles Billman Sr. He married Ruth Weisenbach Oct. 23, 1954 at St. Anthony's Church in M
- Floyd Franklin Lowe, 95 On Nov. 30, 2013, at the age of 95, Floyd Lowe prepared to let go of this life in order to take hold of the next. He peacefully left his home on earth and entered into his heavenly home, where he was met by his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, as well
- James A. Oliphant, 72
- Gale Rudicel, 81
- Carl L. Redelman, 74
- Mary Esther Proctor, 78
- More Obituaries Headlines