William Gifford Dring, formerly of Greensburg, passed away Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2012 at the age of 90.
He is survived by daughters Jane (J. William) Overbay of Lafayette, and Linda (Andy) Kasianchuk of Crown Point,; grandchildren Evan (Autumn) Overbay, Sarah (Richard) Grimes and Jeff Kasianchuk; and great-granddaughter Carrie Overbay.
Bill was preceded in death by his wife Mildred Dring; daughter Beth Dring; grandson Steven Kasianchuk and sister Beth Helmers.
Bill was born and raised in Chicago, Ill. He was a U.S. Navy veteran and served in the South Pacific during World War II.
After the war, he returned to Chicago where he met and married his wife, Mildred. They relocated to Wakarusa, where they owned and operated a rural telephone company.
In 1955, Bill sold the telephone company and the family moved to Greensburg.
Bill was the assistant manager and later general manager of Greensburg’s Public Telephone Company. He was a member of First Baptist Church, where he served as a deacon and chaired a building committee in the 1960s.
He also belonged to the Rotary Club and served on the board of directors of the Indiana Telephone Association. In 1972, Bill accepted the job of operating manager of the Princeton Telephone Co. in Princeton, where he worked until retiring in 1984. He and his wife moved to Tavares, Fla. where he enjoyed many years of playing softball, fishing, golfing, making stained glass, and extensive worldwide travel.
He moved back to Indiana in 2003 and lived in Crown Point and Lafayette to be closer to his daughters.
A graveside service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday Nov. 10 at South Park Cemetery, Pastor J. William Overbay officiating.
Arrangements by Soller-Baker Funeral Home.
- Joseph G. Dierckman, 91 March 20, 1922 – March 11, 2014 Joseph G. Dierckman, 91, died Tuesday, March 11, 2014. Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Thursday, March 13, at Weigel Funeral Home in Batesville. Funeral services begin at 10 a.m. Friday at Holy Family Catholic Church in Oldenburg. Burial will fo
- Craig Allen Roberts, 13 July 3, 2000 – March 11, 2014 Craig Allen Roberts, 13, of Greensburg, passed away Tuesday, March 11, 2014 at Decatur County Memorial Hospital. He was born July 3, 2000 in Greensburg, the son of Craig Roberts and Amy Roberts. Craig enjoyed all things Pokémon and spending time wit
- Marilyn Jo Einhaus, 75 Marilyn Jo Einhaus, 75, passed away Tuesday, March 11, 2014, at Margaret Mary Health Center. Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. on Friday March 14, at Meyers Funeral Home in Batesville. Funeral services begin at 10 a.m. Saturday, March 15, at the f
- Mary C. Schwering, 82 Feb. 14, 1932 - March 9, 2014 Mary Catherine Schwering, 82, passed away on Sunday, March 9, 2014 at Decatur County Memorial Hospital in Greensburg. Mary was born Feb. 14, 1932 in Millhousen to Frank B. and Elizabeth R. (Schoettmer) Schwering. Mary was a 1950 graduate of Sandusky
- Sr. Laurita Kroger, O.S.F., 99 Sept. 30, 1914 - March 9, 2014 Sr. Laurita Kroger, O.S.F., age 99 of the Srs. of St. Francis in Oldenburg, passed away Sunday, March 9, 2014 at the convent. Born Sept. 30, 1914, she was the daughter of Katherine (Nee: Hirsch) and Joseph Kroger. She entered the convent Oct. 2, 193
- Sr. Jonette Scheidler, O.S.F., 97 Dec. 16, 1916 – March 6, 2014 Sr. Jonette Scheidler, O.S.F., 97, of Srs. of St. Francis in Oldenburg, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at the convent. She was born Dec. 16, 1916, in Millhousen, the daughter of Paul and Clara (Herbert) Scheidler. She entered the convent Sept. 8, 1946
- Jeanne E. Dwenger, 83 Jeanne E. Dwenger, 83, of Hamburg, passed away Thursday, March 6, 2014. Visitation is from 9 to 11 a.m. Monday, March 10, at Weigel Funeral Home, Batesville. Funeral begins at 11 a.m. Monday at the funeral home. Burial follows in St. Louis Cemetery.
- Linda Taylor Couch Palas, 74 April 30, 1939 - March 6, 2014 Linda Taylor Couch Palas, 74, of Brownsville, Texas, passed away Thursday, March 6, 2014. She went to high school in Carrollton, Ky., lived in Greensburg for a time and visited Decatur County often with her husband Stanley Couch who preceded her in d
- Colleen Cherry, 51 Dec. 29, 1962 – March 4, 2014 |Colleen Cherry, 51, of Greensburg, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014. She was born Dec. 29, 1962, in Anaheim, Calif., the daughter of Hugh and Rosanne Miller. Colleen graduated from South Decatur High School in 1981. She was a quality control spec
- Walter Joseph Allen, 88 April 19, 1925 - March 4, 2014 Walter Joseph Allen, 88, Greensburg, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at Heritage House Nursing Home in Greensburg. Born April 19, 1925 in Decatur County, he was the son of William Walter and Velma Gayle (Skinner) Allen. Walter helped his father as
- More Obituaries Headlines