John David Bakes, 71, Shelbyville, died Monday, Oct. 22, 2012 at Major Hospital in Shelbyville.
He was born in Shelbyville Sept. 10, 1941, the son of John J. Bakes and Bertha (Spurling) Bakes.
John married Linda Kay (Kuntz) Bakes June 8, 1959 and she survives.
He is also survived by three daughters: Jamie (Edward) Kuhn of Shelbyville, Karen (Michael) Lewis of St. Paul and Robin Ritter of Rush County; a brother, James Blake, of Shelbyville; two sisters: Rozella Bakes of St. Paul and Louisa Kimmel of Olney, Ill and 10 grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents.
John had lived in Shelbyville for the past two years, previously residing in St. Paul.
He worked as a military pay clerk at Fort Benjamin Harrison for 21 years. He also worked at Delta Faucet in Greensburg.
John was a 1959 graduate of St. Paul High School and member of Union Chapel Church. He was also a member of the St. Paul Volunteer Fire Department for 32 years.
Funeral services begin at 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 27 at Union Chapel Methodist Church in St. Paul, Rev. Dawn Barnes presiding. A time of visitation begins at 10 a.m. and continues until time of service Saturday.
Burial will follow at a later date.
Memorials may be made to the St. Paul Volunteer Fire Department or Union Chapel Methodist Church in the care of Glenn E. George and Son Funeral Home, Shelbyville.
- Larry Dale Wright, 67 Sept. 17, 1946 - Dec. 9, 2013 A Celebration of LifeThe family of Larry Dale Wright would like to invite you to join us in the celebration of his life. The service will be held from 2 to 5 p.m., Sunday, July 27, at the Knights of St. John Hall, 312 S. Wilder Street, Greensburg.Mr.
- Larry A. Davis Sr., 69 Nov. 21, 1944 – July 26, 2014 Larry A. Davis Sr., 69, Greensburg, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Major Hospital in Shelbyville.Born Nov. 21, 1944, in Beech Grove, he was the son of Elbert Davis and Viola (Cramer) Gauck.Larry graduated from St. Paul High School and he was
- Gertie B. Brockman, 98 May 7, 1916 - July 25, 2014 Gertie B. Brockman, 98, passed away July 25, 2014. She was born May 7, 1916, the daughter of Alonzo T. and Ida K. (Boring) Bailey.She was a 1934 graduate of Greensburg High School. On June 27, 1942, she married Melvin G. Brockman.Gertie owned and ope
- Lelah Marjean Wolfe Keller, 89 Dec. 18, 1924 – July 27, 2014 Lelah Marjean Wolfe Keller, 89, left her earthly home on July 27, 2014, to meet Jesus and her family members who have preceded her in the resurrection of life through her Lord, Jesus Christ.She was born Dec. 18, 1924, to Harold and Edna (Walker) Wolf
- Charles Paul Meister, 81 Jan. 24, 1933 - July 27, 2014 Charles Paul Meister, 81, of Osgood, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014.Visitation is from 10 a.m. until time of funeral services at noon Tuesday, July 29, at St. John’s Catholic Church of Osgood.Military graveside services by Osgood American Legion a
- Gertie B. Brockman, 98 May 7, 1916 - July 25, 2014 Gertie B. Brockman, 98, passed away July 25, 2014. She was born May 7, 1916, the daughter of Alonzo T. and Ida K. (Boring) Bailey.She graduated from Greensburg High School in 1934. On June 27, 1942, she married Melvin. Brockman.Gertie owned and opera
- Jerry Lee Mann, 75 Jerry Lee Mann, 75, of Greensburg, passed away Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at St. Andrews Health Campus, Batesville.Jerry was born in Grant County, March 24, 1939, to Jack Norman and Vera A. (Poindexter) Mann.Jerry worked for MiTech and Smith Implements
- Phyllis Jean Chitwood, 89 April 23, 1925 - July 20, 2014 Phyllis Jean Chitwood, 89, of Greensburg, passed away Sunday, July 20, at Decatur County Memorial Hospital. Phyllis was born April 23, 1925 in Sharpsville, the daughter of Park and Marjorie Snyder. On May 9, 1946, she married Kenneth Chitwood in Kala
- James Lee Meyers, 69 Sept. 9, 1944 - July 18, 2014 James Lee Meyers, 69, New Castle, died Friday, July 18, 2014, among family.Born: Sept. 9, 1944, Batesville, to Edna (Denker) and Aloise E Meyers.Married: Nancy A. (Norrick) Meyers April 10, 1985.Graveside Service: East Brook Cemetery, Milroy, 10 a.m.
- Jack Kenneth Branstutter, 75 Aug. 28 1938 – July 19, 2014 Jack Kenneth Branstutter, 75, of North Vernon, passed away Saturday, July, 19, 2014.Jack was a United States Army veteran, and retired from Print Pack in Greensburg after 25 years of service.Cremation was chosen following Jack’s wishes. Newcomer Fune
- More Obituaries Headlines