John David Bakes, 71, Shelbyville, died Monday, Oct. 22, 2012 at Major Hospital in Shelbyville.
He was born in Shelbyville Sept. 10, 1941, the son of John J. Bakes and Bertha (Spurling) Bakes.
John married Linda Kay (Kuntz) Bakes June 8, 1959 and she survives.
He is also survived by three daughters: Jamie (Edward) Kuhn of Shelbyville, Karen (Michael) Lewis of St. Paul and Robin Ritter of Rush County; a brother, James Blake, of Shelbyville; two sisters: Rozella Bakes of St. Paul and Louisa Kimmel of Olney, Ill and 10 grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents.
John had lived in Shelbyville for the past two years, previously residing in St. Paul.
He worked as a military pay clerk at Fort Benjamin Harrison for 21 years. He also worked at Delta Faucet in Greensburg.
John was a 1959 graduate of St. Paul High School and member of Union Chapel Church. He was also a member of the St. Paul Volunteer Fire Department for 32 years.
Funeral services begin at 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 27 at Union Chapel Methodist Church in St. Paul, Rev. Dawn Barnes presiding. A time of visitation begins at 10 a.m. and continues until time of service Saturday.
Burial will follow at a later date.
Memorials may be made to the St. Paul Volunteer Fire Department or Union Chapel Methodist Church in the care of Glenn E. George and Son Funeral Home, Shelbyville.
- Sr. Jonette Scheidler, O.S.F., 97 Dec. 16, 1916 – March 6, 2014 Sr. Jonette Scheidler, O.S.F., 97, of Srs. of St. Francis in Oldenburg, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at the convent. She was born Dec. 16, 1916, in Millhousen, the daughter of Paul and Clara (Herbert) Scheidler. She entered the convent Sept. 8, 1946
- Jeanne E. Dwenger, 83 Jeanne E. Dwenger, 83, of Hamburg, passed away Thursday, March 6, 2014. Visitation is from 9 to 11 a.m. Monday, March 10, at Weigel Funeral Home, Batesville. Funeral begins at 11 a.m. Monday at the funeral home. Burial follows in St. Louis Cemetery.
- Linda Taylor Couch Palas, 74 April 30, 1939 - March 6, 2014 Linda Taylor Couch Palas, 74, of Brownsville, Texas, passed away Thursday, March 6, 2014. She went to high school in Carrollton, Ky., lived in Greensburg for a time and visited Decatur County often with her husband Stanley Couch who preceded her in d
- Colleen Cherry, 51 Dec. 29, 1962 – March 4, 2014 |Colleen Cherry, 51, of Greensburg, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014. She was born Dec. 29, 1962, in Anaheim, Calif., the daughter of Hugh and Rosanne Miller. Colleen graduated from South Decatur High School in 1981. She was a quality control spec
- Walter Joseph Allen, 88 April 19, 1925 - March 4, 2014 Walter Joseph Allen, 88, Greensburg, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at Heritage House Nursing Home in Greensburg. Born April 19, 1925 in Decatur County, he was the son of William Walter and Velma Gayle (Skinner) Allen. Walter helped his father as
- Charles L. Flick Jr., 87 Dec. 7, 1926 - March 3, 2014 Charles L. Flick Jr., 87, of the Hopewell community near Holton, passed away Monday, March 3, 2014, at Columbus Regional Hospital. He was born near Holton Dec. 7, 1926, the son of Charles and Emma (Detraz) Flick. He married Mabel Comer Oct. 15, 1949;
- Thomas R. Waechter, 64 Thomas R. Waechter, 64, of Oldenburg, passed away Sunday, March 2, 2014. Visitation is from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, March 7, at Weigel Funeral Home, Batesville. A service will follow. Funeral begins at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, at Holy Family Catholic Church,
- Annabelle Kelley, 90 July 25, 1923 - March 3, 2014 Annabelle Kelley, 90, of Waldron, passed away Monday, March 3, 2014. Visitation is from 10 to 11 a.m. Friday, March 7, at Glenn E. George & Son Funeral Home, Shelbyville, with funeral services beginning at 11 a.m. Burial follows in Van Pelt Cemetery
- Jean (Arthur) Bennett, 88 Mrs. Jean (Arthur) Bennett, 88, of Columbus, passed away Saturday, March 1, 2014. Funeral services begin at 11 a.m. Saturday, March 8, at Bass & Gasper Funeral Home. Visitation is from 9 a.m. until time of service. Burial in Westport Cemetery. Memori
- Dale E. Schofner, 74 Jan. 15, 1940 - March 1, 2014 Dale E. Schofner, 74, of Shelbyville, passed away Saturday, March 1, 2014. Funeral services begin at 10 a.m. Friday, March 7, at St. Joseph Catholic Church. Burial follows in the church cemetery. Visitation is from 4 to 8 p.m. Thursday, March 6, at M
- More Obituaries Headlines