A tenant reported a fire in the mobile home shortly after 10 a.m. Friday. The trailer fire occurred in the 1000 block of West First Street lot six. Radio traffic from responding units of the Rushville Fire Department reported smoke was visible from Main Street.
Once on the scene, it was learned that all the occupants inside the mobile home, at the time the fire was realized, had exited the structure with the exception of a family pet.
A resident, Derrick Bierly, and a young child were home when he smelled smoke and called 911. He and the child safely exited the burning structure although a family pet remained unaccounted for as firefighters arrived.
“Once the fire was out, we located the dog. He was safe and had hid himself under a piece of furniture in the living room,” fire chief Chuck Jenkins said.
Due to the close proximity of additional mobile homes in the trailer park, a call for mutual aid from the Rushville Township Volunteer Fire Department was requested as a precautionary measure.
When asked where the fire originated and what may have sparked the blaze, Bierly said he was sure he knew.
“It started in that bed room from a space heater, one of those that you plug in to the wall,” Bierly said as he pointed to the trailer.
No official cause of the fire was known at press time Friday. Also assisting at the scene were units from the RPD, RCSD and Indiana State Police.
Contact: Frank Denzler @ 765.932.2222 x106.
After suffering a total loss to a trailer fire that occurred Friday from a space heater, Derrick Bierly and Alicia Steele are seeking help from the community. The couple has three children ages five, six and eight who need clothing. Sizes needed include girls 5T and 6T and boys 6-7T. Donations can be brought to Shady Maple Mobile Home Park, 1001W. 1st St. The Red Cross is currently helping the family while they stay at a hotel.